The installation process was relatively simple. The ECU wiring harness needed to be re-pinned so that the proper sensor/trigger wire wen’t to the correct pin on the Evo ECU. This was a PITA, but not rocket science. I also had to wire in a flash port for the tatrix cable to the empty flash pin on the harness. The flash port is an older style Mitsubishi diagnostic port. I obtained mine from a Mitsubishi 3000gt I found at the local pick n’ pull.
Since I was doing this to my 95 7-bolt Talon TSI (which has an inverted cam angle sensor), I would need to either re-pin the injector wires and swap my spark plugs, or install a cam angle sensor with the proper signal. I decided to go with a 1G cam angle sensor because it is adjustable. I picked up my 1G to 2G conversion cable from RTM Racing and installed the cam angle sensor.
Once everything was installed, I dumped a copy of the stock Evo 8 rom for backup. Before I could start the car for the first time, I needed to flash a rom with the immobilizer disabled. An Evo 8 has an immobilizer system which my Talon does not have, therefore, the ECU would never receive the code signal it was patiently waiting for before enabling ignition. The immobilizer was easily disabled through the periphery bits in ECU Flash.
I also needed to change my MAF Scaling and Injector Scaling/Latency to match my injector size and 2G MAF size before attempting to start the car. I was able to get the MAF Scaling from a 2g DSM 98-99 ECU rom dump and found the proper Injector Scaling and Latency for my 650cc’s on a dsmtuner thread. These scalings are by no means cut and dry, they are just a good starting point. You have to dial them in by flashing them, driving and logging, adjusting, then flashing again, repeat, until the logs are indicating the proper values.
After making the necessary changes to a TephraMod v7 rom, I flashed it to the ECU and started the car. I needed to adjust the idle, but other than that, it seems to run just fine. Once I had the car running, I disabled a bunch of check engine light codes relating to my EGR (which is deleted) and rear O2 sensor (no cat). I also enabled the TephraMod “Flash Check Engine Light on Knock” feature and the Rear O2 sensor simulator.
Still waiting for my AEM UEGO wideband O2 sensor to come in the mail before I do any real tuning.
It’s been a great phone, but I feel like we’ve had our time together. It’s time to move on. So I wen’t and picked up a Samsung Gio (GT-S5660 to be precise) for $100. After rooting/unlocking and installing ClockWorkMod Recovery, I was able to get an Android 4.2.1 (jellybean) rom running on it smooth and stable. So far I’m quite pleased for $100, but we’ll see how it holds up to my life…
Got the screen, tore the phone open, took the old screen out (which broke as I was removing it), and started to install the new screen, but alas the new screen’s ribbon tore as I was putting it in. So I decided to probably do what any normal person would do and buy a new phone. In the mean time, I reassembled the phone and started on an epic quest to firstly get ADB running (cause apparently I had it disabled for some reason) and install a VNC server. Read more